A multistate salmonella outbreak linked to fresh jalapeño peppers has sickened 431 people and hospitalized 57 across 32 states, according to federal health officials.
The latest figures represent an increase of 86 illnesses, 21 hospitalizations and five states since the outbreak stood at 345 cases and 36 hospitalizations across 27 states earlier this month.
No deaths have been reported.
Federal health officials say the outbreak is probably larger than the confirmed case count because people with mild infections often recover without seeking care or getting tested. Recent illnesses can also take several weeks to be linked to an outbreak.
18 PREPARED FOODS UNDER ALERT AS JALAPEÑO SALMONELLA OUTBREAK SICKENS 345
The outbreak has been tied to jalapeños grown in Sinaloa, Mexico, and distributed in the U.S. by Coast Citrus Distributors. The peppers have prompted recalls of prepared foods and ready-to-eat products sold by major retailers.
Of 224 people interviewed as part of the investigation, 91% said they ate at a Mexican-style restaurant before becoming sick. Federal health officials have identified 28 illness clusters tied to restaurants across eight states.
Chipotle Mexican Grill and Qdoba received jalapeños imported by Coast Citrus Distributors from the Sinaloa grower linked to the outbreak, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
Chipotle began switching its jalapeño supplier for affected locations on July 20 and is no longer serving the relevant product. Qdoba stopped using jalapeños at all of its restaurants July 28.
SALMONELLA OUTBREAK LINKED TO JALAPENOS SPREADS TO MULTIPLE STATES, DOZENS HOSPITALIZED

The FDA said the actions taken by the restaurant chains mean there is no current ongoing outbreak risk to consumers eating at those establishments.
People who have become sick range in age from 1 to 85 years old. Illnesses began between June 19 and Aug. 2, while meals associated with the restaurant investigation were eaten between June 14 and July 16.
The outbreak has also prompted an expanding series of recalls involving products made with the affected jalapeños.
NatureBest Precut & Produce voluntarily recalled certain NatureBest and H-E-B products on Aug. 8, including pico de gallo, soup mix, stuffed mushrooms and diced jalapeños. The products were distributed to retail locations in Texas and Louisiana from July 3 through Aug. 5.
DOG FOOD LINKED TO NEARLY 200 REPORTS OF POTENTIAL CANINE VISION LOSS, PROMPTING MASSIVE RECALL
Other downstream recalls listed by the FDA include products from Taylor Fresh Foods and Whole Foods, as well as jalapeños distributed by Hardie’s Fresh Foods.
The outbreak previously prompted a public health alert covering at least 18 ready-to-eat meat and poultry products containing recalled jalapeños. Those products included wraps, bowls and salads sold through major retailers including Walmart, Kroger, H-E-B, Albertsons, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Wawa, Hannaford, RaceTrac and Dillons.
Federal regulators previously said there were no confirmed illnesses linked specifically to the recalled meat and poultry products.
Coast Citrus Distributors agreed to recall the remaining implicated product and stop importing jalapeños from the grower linked to the outbreak, according to the FDA.
CLICK HERE TO GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO
Salmonella can cause diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps, with symptoms typically beginning six hours to six days after infection. Most people recover within four to seven days without treatment.
Severe illness can occur, particularly among young children, older adults and people with weakened immune systems.
FOX Business’ Bonny Chu contributed to this report.
Read the full article here

